My life is very boring right now. I have not blogged all week. I am sorry to my faithful readers. I am currently up to late, watching Mich.ael Mo.ore on Op.rah arguing with a woman about socialized heal.thca.re. I love him. He rocks. It is terrible that 47 million people in our country are uninsured. Even scarier is the fact that this documentary he recently made, called Si.cko, was geared towards us 200 million "insured" people. I put insured in quotes because, as they stress on the show, most of us feel that if we have insurance we are safe, protected and don't have to worry. Which may not always be true.
Should someone be making a profit off of us as human beings and our health? Seems wrong to me. I'm praying for a universal health plan in my lifetime. I don't want E to ever worry that she may have to take a 2nd mortgage out on her house, file for bankruptcy or live (or die) without a certain treatment she may need some day.
One comment I liked best on the show was this. Would you be willing to wait 4-8 weeks longer to see a specialist for a non-life-threatening issue so that the 47 million other citizens of our "great" country could be covered?
Something to think about.
On to lighter topics...
My MIL is here. It has been great. I've come home the last 2 nights to dinner on the table and a happy E. What could be better than that?
OMG, my battery is going to die on the computer and I don't want to loose this post and I'm to lazy to go down stairs for the plug. So I'm out.
Night. K
5 comments:
K -
Personally, I agree with your stance on health care to a point....
I was actually having this convo with a lady I work with from GA yesterday. She has a stepdaughter that lives in England and they have gov't run health care and her husbands relative (i think) is around 65-70 and she needed a impant for her hearing. If they were to do the procedure she would have full hearing back. The gov't told her that she is too old to get the surgery needed. Is that fair?? Probably not.
The best way is to have gov't run, but then you can subsidize the rest with private health insurance. Best of both worlds theory.
I guess I dont want to be told that I cant get the care I need when I am older because I have diabetes and am too old. But that is my opinion.
Take care, Hunna
I have great insurance, but I am severly over charged to make up for those who can't afford it. Can't we just even it all out? AND those on MEdicare who have 670 square inch flat screen TVS piss me off!
I think a huge problem is that a lot of poeple have the "not in my back yard" thinking. That if I am okay then that is all that matters. That is why this country is having all these problems. We need to look beyond our own families. Get involved with who is making these decsions...cuz guess what, we put them there. And when I say we, I mean those of you who didnt vote because you just didnt feel like it, or I were tired, or blah blah blah.
I work in health care and many think oh..you must have great insurance. Not true. I am in the same boat as the reat of you, maybe even worse off. Some say, well, you make a lot of money you can pay for it. How is that right. How do you really know what a person can and cannot afford based off appearance and assumptions. What makes me mad is that I pay my bills, all of them and for what?? For some people to not pay for them or rather screw the system more and than guess who pays...me. I totally beleive in meicare,medicade, and welfare but there needs to be regulations. Just because you do not have to pay does it mean you should come to the ER at 3am with a cold. If that person had to pay they would wait till the morning and see a doc. ER costs are higher and also stands for Emergensies. I know this sounds harsh but unfortunately this is the reality of it all so take a stand and do something about, fight for what is good for the greater than for the individual.
To those of you who read my comment..I apoligize for the many grammer and spelling errors. I was typing fast and out of control. I guess I should have viewed it before I published it:)
I have great insurance for sure, and it is pretty expensive, but nothing like some I've heard about. I used to work for one of the major insurers in this country, and though they are actually "non-profit"...they profit...they divide the profit between their employees. Yep...I said that...it's true. I got a bonus twice a year, it was different every time depending on the leftover money (aka profit).
Anyway, despite the fact that I have good insurance, I do think something has to be done in this country. I think it is severely crappy that so many people in this country feel like they have to work for corporate America b/c it's one of the only ways to get good insurance and not break the bank. You can't work for yourself and get good, inexpensive insurance...it just doesn't happen. I don't know if universal healthcare as it exists in other countries right now is the way to go...I don't even know if there is a solution, but something has to be done...at least it's being talked about for a change.
I can't stand Michael Moore usually, by the way. I just don't like him. I think he makes really broad statements and plays with words to make his point sound more convincing than it probably should be....BUT I actually agree with him on a lot of things with this topic...which shocks the heck out of me :).
Post a Comment